Saturday, July 15, 2006

My credit report

As of September 2005, New Yorkers are able to get a free credit report from each of the three credit reporting agencies. Since then, I have staggered each of my credit reports getting one every few months. So far, (knock on wood) I have not had any problems. I am happy to say that there are no late payments indicated on my credit report. There is one 'adverse' account which has to do with a dispute with Verizon wireless from a few years ago. This item is scheduled to be off my credit report by June 2007.

The only thing I have had to do with my report is clean up the inaccuracies with my personal information. There was eight different spelling variations of my name. My address was listed incorrectly, and my employment information was a few years old. I was able to take care of all this with experian.

There was one thing on my report that had me scratching my head. My current address is listed as a 'high risk' address. WTH is a 'high risk' address. I called experian and was told my address is considered 'high rise' because there is a business address in the same building. Well duh, management has an office on the first floor. Is it my fault that management has an office downstairs. This means that pretty much everyone in an apartment in New York City lives at a 'high risk' address. However, I was told that this does not effect on my credit.

The transunion report was a lot more accurate than experian. There were no misspellings or address problems.

Next up in a few months is Equifax.

No comments: